What is Overlap2D Runtime
Overlap2D runtime, is a library written i specific language, most probably on top of a specific framework/engine, with a purpose to load, render and provide navigation api for the content data exported by the Overlap2D Editor.
When you export O2D project, a folder structure of assets is created that includes, resources such as images or animations, and .dt files that contain JSON description of your in-game scenes.
At this moment your data is completely engine/framework/language agnostic. And you get to choose what to develop you game on. Once you made your choice, you need to get an appropriate runtime for that language and use it on order to make sense of exported data in the context of your environment.
Currently Supported Runtimes
Currently Overlap2D has only two runtimes that work – LibGDX Runtime, and HaxeFlixel Runtime. And surely more are coming soon. If runtime for language of your choice is not yet in this list, you are very welcome to help us create it.
Runtime Comparison Chart
Here is the complete list of runtimes, and where to look for their individual documentation.
LibGDX Runtime Help
- Using NEW 0.1.1 runtime (based on Ashley ECS)
- Coding Quick Start – Setting Up Runtime (how to set up project, and manage your assets)
- Runtime Main Concepts
- Multiple Texture Resolutions loading with runtime
- Physics based platformer tutorial series.
- Part 1: Project Setup & simple controls
- Part 2: Setting Up UI Buttons
- Part 3: Ray Casting, Collision Detection and Moving Platforms
- Part 4: Collisions in all directions, collecting items
- … ? what comes next?
Some additional documentation can be found on github repo wiki of the runtime
Surely in time I will make this more centralized.
HaxeFlixel Runtime Help
Most complete documentation on our HaxeFlixel runtime can be found on it’s github repo wiki.